2011-02-10

when science fiction meets design...



When science fiction meets design... what could happen?

Inspired by all research findings and readings I've done towards my dissertation (which was on communication with extraterrestrial intelligence and it's implications to our understanding of communication in general), I got fascinate by science fiction as a genre. Using it as a tool for designing could be very interesting...

I have already used science fiction as a vast resource of references and examples in my written work (this will be published soon). Lem, Leinster, Spielberg... all have pushed the genre forward and extended our understanding of communication by envisaging fictive scenarios of the human-alien encounter. Naturally, none of these would probably ever happen and it will stay pure fiction as it is now. But its true value lies in one's limitless thinking, which dares to imagine what might be just around the corner, and which still awaits to be discovered.

Now, having seen how others use science fiction to express their thoughts , I would like to test science fiction as a design tool. And my interest is in future soundscapes.