2011-05-25

Art & Science Meeting, Gdańsk 2011

I'm just leaving Gdańsk in northern Poland, where I managed to attend the Art & Science Meeting conference. I should have been sitting home preparing for the final show in less than two weeks time now, but I could not miss this kind of event in my own country.

And it was definitely worth it!

I visited three very interesting shows, each tackling a completely different aspect of art + science theme. "The Pleasure of Light" is a retrospection of work by F Malina and G Kepes work from fifty years ago. "Performing Data" by M Fleischmann and W Strauss reveals the very beginnings of virtual reality and computer interaction projects, as well as the creation of 3d spaces. All this when I was enjoying Mario Bros on my 64 colours Nintendo console in 1992! The last one is "Blue Morph" by V Vesna and J Gimzewski. It is a lovely piece really gaining from being placed in a gothic church.



"Blue Morph" by Vesna & Gimzewski.

In five hours time I will be boarding a plane back to London and going straight to work on my own projects. Nevertheless, I will have very positive memories from Gdańsk in May 2011!