2011-06-14

The End of Hearing: building the implants #3

The box with foam filling did not work really well as a packaging for the implants. First of all it had a rather "home" touch and a "friendly" feel. I do not want it to look like that—this is an electronic device, which is supposed to be planted inside newborns' brains after all.

So I decided to create a blister. Because there is probably no blister of this size available in the market, and because I wanted it to be rather rigid and strong, I decided to create my own blister desing and vacuum form them using 1mm acrylic.

Below you can see the form I created. Thanks a lot to Melvin and Billy for hepling me out with routing the holes. The mold is equipped with a number of 1mm holes, through which air will be sucked out (2 holes in each implant nest, 4 holes in the corners of the mold (to prevent acrylic wrinckling in that areas) and 5 holes along the axis of the mold.



I made around 30 vacuum forms, around 14 of which are actually looking good enough to be used.

Another thing is the back of the blister... it turned out that finding an adequate material and processing it took me even more time that making the blisters!