2010-12-13

future of soundscapes: experiment #1

My current project, which is also intended to be my graduation project, deals with the future of soundscapes and our abilities to adapt to upcoming changes. I wish to design a series of tool that would help us adapt to the changes in future soundscapes.

Therefore, I need to research into different viable methodologies that would allow me visualise the future.

One of my methods can be called 'a self-realising prophecy' and is based on a thesis that the future will be exactly what we imagine it to be. As a consequence of that, I decided to conduct a survey, questioning people about their beliefs. Reminded by Einstein's famous saying, that the questions one ask shape the answers one get, I decided to keep the survey as open as possible, just slightly directing towards what I need to know. Surprisingly, the majority of all answers was formulated in one spirit.



In the above image you can see all answers overlapped one onto another. There is a most common path that peoples' mind is following and this, according to the theory of 'self-realising prophecy', is what the future will look like.